Kew Lunatic Asylum is a decommissioned psychiatric hospital located between Princess Street and Yarra Boulevard in Kew, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia.Operational from 1871 to 1988, Kew was one of the largest asylums ever built in Australia. Author: Shelbypark – CC BY-SA 3.0Kew Asylum was finally decommissioned in 1988. Kew Lunatic Asylum is a decommissioned psychiatric hospital located between Princess Street and Yarra Boulevard in Kew, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. But it was far from an idyllic haven.An undefeated English castle in South Wales: Haverfordwest withstood 300 years of attacks by Welsh tribesToday redeveloped as an upmarket (and ironically gated) residential complex and renamed Willsmere, the campus stands just across Yarra Boulevard from the 642 acre Yarra Bend Park — the largest area of natural bushland to be preserved within inner Melbourne.The hospital layout followed the E-plan model, a type of corridor design based on the Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum in Middlesex, England, which was devised by influential English psychiatrist John Conolly. Within a decade of its opening, the institution had become so dilapidated that it was described by the Victorian Branch of the British Medical Association as ‘a disgrace to the community’.In 1982, Willsmere became the Willsmere Unit.In the 1880s, it was proposed to close both the Kew and Yarra Bend asylums and replace them with four new facilities. St Helens / Pleasant View Licensed House 14.
You can view the records via this link. The Kew Asylum was first opened in 1871 as a ward of Yarra Bend. Within five years, the … Many of Kew's early patients were transferred from Yarra Bend and the Collingwood Asylum. Conifers were widely planted from the 1860s along with Moreton Bay figs and occasionally oaks.
Widening and straightening of Princess Street in 1939-1940The hospital complex was eventually developed by Central Equity into residential apartments.The conifer plantings and oak avenues along Main and Lower Drives were well established and of a mature size by the 1940s.
In October 1872 Kew was proclaimed a separate institution from Yarra Bend. In October 1872 Kew was proclaimed a separate institution from Yarra Bend. The Kew Asylum postcard album, now in our collection, contains 79 postcards mostly depicting locations within Victoria, sometimes interstate and overseas - the latter sent by staff members on active service with the First AIF. This led to the creation of an interpretive display in a section of the old "Female Paying Patients Ward", development of an archive and resource collection consisting of the few remaining records and artifacts left behind when Central Equity gained control of the site from A.V.
Many of Kew's early patients were transferred from Yarra Bend and the Collingwood Asylum. Most of the buildings were constructed using large blocks of local bluestone.The perimeter of the new “magnificent asylum for the insane” at Kew included an attractive-looking wall and ditch system, called Ha-Ha walls, surrounding elegantly landscaped grounds.According to the Willsmere Estate website, there were “several inquiries throughout its 117 years of operation, including a Royal Commission.” Considering that poor sanitation, overcrowding, and disease are cited as common complaints, it is perhaps no surprise that a typhoid outbreak reported in the (Melbourne and Victoria) Fresh air and sunshine were considered as important in providing treatment as was medication, and for this reason, the hospital had to be located in an area where these elements were plentiful.Example of the ha-ha walls. The Children’s Cottages at Kew had been established in 1887. Plus, of course, they probably didn’t want all those “lunatics” moving in as new neighbors.The nearby Carlton Lunatic Asylum, a much older institution and originally a jailhouse, was also declared to be working inadequately.Extending perpendicular to the main corridor were the central administration block and two patient wings; left for female and right for male patients, who would have been strictly segregated from each other.The remains of Buchanan Castle in Scotland: In 1941 Rudolf Hess was held here as a prisoner of warTheir efforts to block the build were unsuccessful and 340 acres of the area was earmarked for the asylum: construction began in 1864 and the hospital opened in 1871. For more information on the history of child welfare in Australia, see Central department records and institutional recordsPLEASE NOTE: Patients could be admitted to a Receiving House for short-term treatment and care, but were not permitted to remain longer than two months.
Yarra Bend Asylum. Before its closure, Willsmere Unit also provided acute adult psychiatric services on a regional basis, comprising Hawthorn, Camberwell, Kew, Box Hill and Doncaster–Templestowe. "The Mysterious Edward/Ellen De Lacy Evans Another distinctive feature of Kew Asylum and its sister asylums is the use of a variation on Kew continued to operate throughout the 20th century as a "hospital for the insane", "mental hospital", or "psychiatric hospital", treating acute, long-term and geriatric patients until it closed in December 1988.
Vivian and Frederick … It also administered the Camberwell Community Mental Health Clinic.The services provided to psychogeriatric patients included acute assessment (including day-care programs), rehabilitation, family relief care, long-term care, community services and medical services.
Before discussing the project, It would be advantageous to know something of the history of Kew Asylum. Action was delayed by the onset of the 1890s depression.In 1989, Willsmere Unit was decommissioned.