Braunschweig, English Brunswick, city, Lower Saxony Land (state), northern Germany.It lies on the Oker River, some 40 miles (65 km) southeast of Hannover. Many shops and eateries can be found within, such as:Eintracht Braunschweig articles can be purchased atDepending on the traffic, Berlin can be reached in two hours - Hamburg, Bremen and Kassel in one hour and a half, Frankfurt in 3½ hours, Hannover in 30–40 minutes, and Magdeburg in one hour using the autobahn.
Antonyms for Brunswick, Germany. The Berlin office was opened in 2006 and specializes in public affairs, crisis and corporate communications. At the end of World War I, in 1919, the rest of the duchy became the Free State of Brunswick (Braunschweig), which in 1946 merged into the current state of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen). See more ideas about Germany, Brunswick germany, Places to travel. Goslar and the Harz mountains are approximately 30–40 minutes away by car.Brunswick is considered having been one of the most tumultuous cities of Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe (next toArticles with formerly dead external linksBrunswick chinaware, mugs, and steins can be bought atBrunswick main station is not very close to the centre, and the surrounding area does not offer a lot of sights worth seeing (Information on schedules and connections can be found either at theAn important industrial hub, the district of Brunswick is home to many companies, such as the steel industry inBrunswick, as would be expected of a city of this size, has a large number of excellent hotels, many in or near the city centre.Taxis are comparatively expensive in Germany, and Brunswick is no exception. We have reviews of the best places to see in Braunschweig. Viewing others on the internet will show differences in the hand painting - no two are alike. Only a small number of buildings have been re-erected; the majority of downtown buildings nowadays exhibit the sombreness of 1950s post-war architecture.The downtown shopping area is roughly delineated by Lange Straße, Bohlweg, Bruchtorwall, and Güldenstraße. Based on a broad expertise, we cover a wide range of sectors, especially energy, industry and infrastructure, digital and financial. In the Middle Ages the city was a major trading hub and was one of the last nine remaining members of the Hanseatic League.It’s easy to distinguish the church’s unadorned Romanesque central nave from the north and south aisles, which date from the 14th and 15th centuries and have twisted columns and rib vaults in the English Perpendicular style.The gallery is almost a who’s who of northern European art from the 1500s and 1600s, and there are pieces by Albrecht Dürer, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Hans Holbein the Younger, Rembrandt, van Dyck, Rubens and Vermeer.One of Braunschweig’s oldest quarters begins a couple of streets east of Schlossplatz.You can see where they got the name “Happy” from, as the facade is plastered with colourful, cartoons of cheerful faces, and uplifting recurring motifs of stars and hearts.The palace is now a private residence, so be sure to enquire ahead of time about a tour of the state rooms.Antiquarians and lovers of decorative arts should allow a good couple of hours to get through the sizeable assortments of silverware, furniture, musical instruments, porcelain from the Fürstenberg manufactory and maybe best of all, delicate lacquer-work by the Stobwasser workshops.In the Braunschweig’s Altstadt (Old Town) precinct, the Altstadtmarkt is a square that first appeared at the end of the 12th century.The building is made up of nine connected blocks and was erected on the northeast side of Ackerhof at the turn of the 2000s on a plot empty since the war.This attraction reopened in 2012 after a long refurbishment and has a reputation as one of the richest municipal museums in the county.And just like in days gone by there’s a daily market on the square, where 50 stalls sell fresh produce and two offer freshly cooked bratwurst and shish kebabs.The 61-metre Flemish-style belfry can be seen from all over the city, including the Burgplatz and Schlossplatz in front of the palace.Braunschweig has a Christmas market up there with the best in Germany, pulling in a million visitors each year.The big draw is the historic atmosphere of squares like Burgplatz, where stalls are framed by that lion, the cathedral, Dankwarderode Castle and the various half-timbered houses.In the 17th and 18th century Anthony Ulrich, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel put together an astounding collection of Renaissance and Baroque art.But the grand facade was reconstructed according to the 19th-century Neoclassical designs.Standing proud on a triangular plinth is a replica of the Brunswick Lion, the symbol of the city and cast in bronze by an unknown artist in the Romanesque style in the 11th century.Despite the widespread bombing suffered during the Second World War, Braunschweig’s monuments like Henry’s Romanesque palace and the spellbinding St. Blasii Cathedral have been restored. Most places of interest can be reached walking. The date and circumstances of the town's foundation are unknown. Find the name of your ancestor's town in family history records.Records were kept on the local level. But because he was exiled from Germany twice in the 1180s, the construction was delayed and both Henry and his wife Matilda were buried here before it was finished.Source: Oliver Foerstner / Shutterstock.comThe Magniviertel is a warren of cobblestone streets traced by rickety half-timbered houses.These are footed by restaurants and independent shops and the streets open onto squares like Ackerhof and the churchyard of St Magni.The church was rebuilt in the middle of the 13th century, while hanging between the two octagonal Romanesque towers is the two-ton Magnusglocke.The Throne Hall is fitted with damask wallpaper and carpets following the original designs, and its gilded furniture is all original as it was removed from the palace in 1935.Inside is the medieval collection of the Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, as well as historic fittings like two fireplaces made from the very rare reddish limestone known as Aquäduktenmarmor (Aqueduct Marble).